Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Uncle Bob

The funeral for Uncle Bob was today. John and I both took the day off of work. It started at 9:30 and went until about 12:00.

It was a huge funeral. So many people went that they told us all to just meet at the church instead of the funeral home. This isn't typical as I found out. Usually everyone drives together to the church, but not this time.

Many touching speeches were given about Uncle Bob. There were ones that made you want to cry endlessly, and ones that made you want to chuckle a bit because you remember just what he was like. I tried to really retain my composure - for John. I wanted to cry a lot more, but I felt as if I needed to be there for him, as a shoulder for him.

I was thinking about everything later on, later in the day. So many things were said about Uncle Bob that I could only pray that one quarter of those things could ever be said about me at mine. He was truly an amazing person. So many people respected him. So many loved him. He was a veteran, he loved his country, he loved God, he loved people, he adored his family, he loved outdoors and nature. People didn't have to try to 'make up' things to say at his funeral - they just told the facts. The stories and speeches were only a minute glimpse at what an affect he had on peoples' lives.

I feel so privileged to have known him but feel I should have had so much more time with him. It really makes you think about life and try to appreciate what and who you currently have in it.

Please keep John and his family in your prayers...

No comments: