Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Weekend & New Car?

Why has it felt like it's been forever since I've posted? Oh yeah, because it has! This weekend was fun. Saturday I attended the President's Award of Excellence ceremony that I got nominated for, and it was really cool. You could bring 1 guest, so of course I took the boyfriend. It was one of those things that makes you feel ..like rich for a day almost. There was an open bar for about 2 hours, servers dressed in black & white uniform came around with all sorts of fancy hors dourves, and we even got professional pictures taken with the city or the stadium as our background :) The meal was very good, followed by the ceremony, and then a huge chocolate fountain to dip all kinds of crazy things in. John and I had thought about just staying down there for the night, then we realized it was the US Open and spending 2 grand for a hotel for a night wasn't exactly our cup of tea!
Sunday was spent with the fam for father's day, and we also ended up at a graduation party that entirely too many people were at. Sunday was also the last day I was giving myself to trade in my DS - which now I have decided against because word on the street is that there will be a third DS. This one is supposed to have a bigger screen, but I am curious as to what they will do about the resolution if that is true. I guess only time will tell.
I also am thinking about buying a new car! My company has this program where you may purchase a car at/around invoice. I can pick from the following makes: Ford, Lincoln, Mazda, Volvo, Mercury, Land Rover, and Jaguar. I'm tossing around a Mustang or Mazda but still have some thinking/debating to do. There are a few options I'd want, such as heated seats, remote entry, manual transmission, but then I start thinking about extras like "convertible" and while I'm pretty sure I'll be able to afford the car, I should also consider if I will be able to afford the insurance :) I'm also torn about the color. I don't think I want red, but that's about it.

1 comment:

Alan said...

Trust me on this one, it's the advice I gave another friend: get a small, fuel efficient car. Ford isn't doing well, so I wouldn't buy one. Foreign is a better idea. You also don't want to spend a lot. It's a car, not an investment. It will get dirty, scratched, dented, and worn, and be almost worthless after a year.

Don't fall into the idiot American mindset and buy an SUV you can barely afford just so because of the status symbol. The rich have private jets and chauffers - now those are status symbols =D

Long but good article (from one of the best sci-fi writers).